Disadvantages of thermoforming
- Thermoformed parts are created when heated sheets are pulled over a mold form. Wall thickness is difficult to control and can be thin at in deeper pockets.
- Intricate details can be difficult to form due the nature of the process. For example, detailed lettering, logos, sharp corners are not feasible.
- In order to form a hollow structure, two or more pieces need to be glued together which is labor intensive and costly. It can also create a stress point on the part.
- Thermoformed parts have relative weak corners when compared to rotomolded parts.
Advantages of blow molding
- Tooling can be inexpensive.
- Cycle times are low.
Examples of thermoformed products
- Plastic egg trays
- Exterior car panels